UPDATE: KEY LESSON 2 + LESSON 3, 4
PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY BEFORE YOU ASK ANYTHING!
This material is a series of English lessons specially designed for those who are about to take the entrance exam to high schools for the gifted in Ho Chi Minh City such as Lê Hồng Phong, Năng Khiếu, Trần Đại Nghĩa, etc. It is compiled and circulated by Ms. Nguyễn Thị Vân Trang. This intensive course, which takes place at Lê Hồng Phong Foreign Language – Infomatics – Literal Education Centre (Cơ Sở Ngoại Ngữ – Tin Học – Bồi Dưỡng Văn Hóa Lê Hồng Phong), lasts about 4 weeks, and does not guarantee your performance on the real exam. Each of the lessons consists of Theory and Practice. For Theory, we suggest you read your own grammar books or ones recommended in blogchuyenanh. For Practice, in addition to the exercises provided by the instructor, we collect questions from past papers so that you can evaluate the level of difficulty in the real test. We also provide extra practice, and hope that it will be helpful for your preparation for the exam. Please note that we do not provide full material at one time but do it one by one according to the progress at the centre. Last but not least, we appreciate your contribution and comments on the material, and send our best wishes to candidates.
LESSON 1 – TENSES, CLOZE TEST
The first part of this lesson is adapted from past paper (2008 – 2009). What you should focus on is the last three parts. I’ll also post it here (for future reference). Key may be updated late because I’m having the final exam.
- SUGGESTED KEY (just new questions. The rest (past paper 2008 – 2009) can be referred to this post: https://blogchuyenanh.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/tuy%e1%bb%83n-t%e1%ba%adp-6-d%e1%bb%81-thi-tuy%e1%bb%83n-sinh-l%e1%bb%9bp-10-chuyen-ti%e1%ba%bfng-anh-tp-hcm-2006-2011/)
VII. Choose the correct answer to fill in the blank.
1. The titanic form of the monument seems to _____ any other in the vicinity.
A. belittle B. dwarf C. diminish D. shrink
2. There is a constant _____ of visitors to this important historic sit.
A. current B. tide C. river D. stream
3. In hot summer, the water levels in reservoirs fall because of _____.
A. condensation B. distillation C. precipitation D. evaporation
4. I couldn’t stop to chat with her because I was really _____ for time.
A. rushed B. restricted C. strained D. pushed
5. This ring is only made of plastic so it’s quite _____.
A. valuable B. invaluable C. worthless D. priceless
6. Since his wife died, Reagan has gone to _____.
A. fragment B. pieces C. bits D. scraps
7. _____ that Marie was able to retire at the age of fifty.
A. So successful her business was B. So successful was her business
C. Her business was so successful D. B & C are correct
8. Not one in a hundred seeds _____ into a healthy plant, even under laboratory conditions.
A. develop B. developing C. to develop D. develops
9. The scheme allows students from many countries to communicate _____.
A. each other B. with each other C. with one another D. B & C are correct
10. The problem was difficult; therefore, _____ students could answer it.
A. few B. a lot of C. a great number D. a few
11. Romans used central heating system very much like _____.
A. those of today B. today’s do
C. those they do D. the systems which are now
12. It was his _____ to retire from business the following year.
A. intention B. opinion C. illusion D. ambition
13. It doesn’t _____ to me how long you stay. There are plenty of rooms.
A. worry B. disturb C. bother D. matter
14. During the war, the black market in luxury goods _____.
A. blossomed B. flowered C. bloomed D. flourished
15. The four-day march over the mountain was very _____ for the soldiers.
A. fierce B. hard C. lasting D. far
16. Please leave this space _____ on the enrolment form.
A. absent B. blank C. missing D. undone
17. You shouldn’t have criticized him in front of his friends. It was extremely _____ of you.
A. unfortunate B. insensitive C. insensible D. unconscious
18. I often miss the bus because my watch is _____.
A. overdue B. slow C. late D. behind
19. For the first few minutes she was leading the race, then she began to fall _____.
A. out B. through C. back D. off
20. The passport she carried was _____.
A. artificial B. imitated C. untrue D. false
VIII. Supply the correct forms of the words in brackets.
1. There should be no _____ within out class. (UNITE)
2. Do you think these children are _____. They look very thin. (NOURISH)
3. Travelling in big cities is becoming more and more _____ nowadays. (TROUBLE)
4. Some people claim to be able to _____ the future. (TELL)
5. There has been another _____ of cholera in Calcutta. (BREAK)
6. I didn’t, in the _____, enjoy my holiday. (LITTLE)
7. Her mother’s criticism has _____ Catherine’s interest in reading novels. (DIE)
8. Rural _____ has enabled people to buy land fairly cheaply. (POPULOUS)
9. This _____ faulty washing machine should be returned to the manufacturer. (REPAIR)
10. I’m afraid I don’t know address _____. I’ll tell you tomorrow after I’ve looked it up. (HAND)
IX. Sentence transformation.
1. These days, she is very cheerful. (SPIRITS)
2. I daren’t turn up television because the baby might wake up. (FEAR)
3. She was so beautiful that I couldn’t stop looking at her. (EYES)
4. The Prime Minister didn’t make a good impression on TV. (ACROSS)
5. Winning that prize has made him very conceited. (HEAD)
6. It was the goalkeeper who saved the match for us.
7. The train is five minutes late in leaving. (DUE)
8. It is unlikely that machines will think for men.
There is little
9. His fondness for the game increases with his proficiency.
10. She never went shopping without buying a new dress.
LESSON 3 – INVERSION + SUBJECT & VERB AGREEMENT
This lesson is very important for the upcoming exam. However, disappointingly, it is quite simply designed, and does not cover enough important theories and practice. You should refer to your grammar books and do more exercises. Advanced grammar books are useful. Here are recommended books for you:
- Advanced Language Practice (Michael Vince, Macmillan Pub.)
- Cambridge Advanced Grammar In Use (Martin Hewings, Cambridge Pub) (or this one, both are good: Grammar for CAE and Proficiency (Martin Hewings, Cambridge Pub.) https://blogchuyenanh.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/e-book-cambridge-grammar-for-cae-and-proficiency/)
- Oxford Practice Grammar (George Yule, Oxford Pub.)
- Longman Advanced Learner’s Grammar (Mark Foley & Diane Hall, Longman Pub.)
- Practical English Usage (Michael Swan, Oxford Pub.)
In addition, you can also use any other CAE, CPE books to practice.
LESSON 4 – PRACTICE TEST 2
The test is adapted from last year examination’s (2011 – 2012). Please refer to my old post to find key. https://blogchuyenanh.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/tuy%e1%bb%83n-t%e1%ba%adp-6-d%e1%bb%81-thi-tuy%e1%bb%83n-sinh-l%e1%bb%9bp-10-chuyen-ti%e1%ba%bfng-anh-tp-hcm-2006-2011/